Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Holy Humility

I was reading from "Glimpses Of Grace" by Madeleine L'Engle the other day where she wrote concerning humility.

"There's an old story of a student who went to a famous old rabbi and said, "Master, in the old days there were people who could see God. Why is it that nobody sees God nowadays?" The old man answered, "My child, nowadays nobody can stoop so low."

Then it hit me. What is keeping us from stooping that low? I'm reminded of Paul's letter to the Philippians in the 2nd chapter verses 1-12 where he sets before us the person of Jesus and the work offered by his modeling humility as he became obedient to death upon the cross so that we might see God...

When do I get to the place where I'm not concerned with how it looks when I stoop that low?

Speak On it...

1 comment:

Steven said...

Gives new meaning to the phrase "I can't believe you'd stoop that low."